Friday, February 5, 2010

Hath Khundi Modhe Khesi

O life, I, a stranger, have arrived in your city
(I arrive) in the shroud of my skeleton carrying the wealth of a few breaths
I sit, weep at the grave of my existence
Whenever I see the shadow of my barren body
Holding a walking stick, a blanket slung over my shoulder, O life
Having become a traveler in my early years, O life
I have no home
Flowers wilt under the sun, but my perfume (a curse?) was not extinguished


O life, I, a gypsy have arrived in your city
I carry with me the collected wanderlust of my many previous lives
The ones who need to, will find the trail of my soul
It matters not that I was not able to find myself
O life, speak not harshly to me
My stay with you is for but a few moments
Tomorrow I will be gone from you
I will then never return

O life, I a blameless convict, have arrived in your prison
I myself had the Creator write my destiny (so I can blame no one else)
Now in which fire can I annihilate this garment of my body
I cannot continue wearing this cloth separated from the beloved of my heart
Life was not suited for me, O life
I sobbed my life away, O life
My life was a torrent of tears
When spring next graces these gardens, I will not be here

O life, I planted a tree in your shade
I, a particle of your dust, (and) a neighbor to (the mighty) sun
Blessed be your lap in which I could play for two moments
I am an orphan child born to an accursed mother
I am neither dead, nor alive
Estranged from myself
Strange indeed was this life I have lived
I could not have even my own death, instead, I died someone else's (death)

Holding a walking stick, a blanket slung over my shoulder, O life
Having become a stranger at a young age, O life
I have no home
Flowers wilt under the sun, but my perfume was not extinguished


Singer: Sukhwinder Singh Album: Timeless

2 comments: