Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Heart

My heart is the mosque of my prayer

His presence is in the whole of my silence

Any word from then on, I’ll have the Quran rewritten

But how am I to do it in your absence?

These hands are burning in your heat

None are seeing as I do. You don’t see it too.

My eyes are my burden to carry

Life is blossoming around us

Yet Here I am wasting my glances on you

Forget the forty-rules of love,

Give me your silent eyes and wandering fingertips

Ahh, the babel of this heart…

And you the reigning tower!

If Rumi says all beauty is borrowed.

Then how much more do I owe you?

In all regards show me your mercy Lord

But in his love, be merciless

I will endure his tyranny

Here he was running his fingers through a tasbih, pelting stones at me

But I swear that day by his feet I saw a masjid

And for every 7 creases circling round each contour

I saw me

By: Natasha Latiff

4 comments:

  1. Dear Rajiv,

    Would it be possible for you to help me translate “Woh Jo Hum Main Tum Main Qarar Tha” By the great Momin Khan, it is fantastic piece of Urdu poetry and I listen to this ghazal almost everyday.
    Your help is very much appreciated.

    Selam,
    Mohamed


    وہ جو ہم میں تُم میں قرار تھا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو
    وہی یعنی وعدہ نِباہ کا تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    وہ جو لُطف مجھ پہ تھے پیشتر، وہ کرم کہ تھا مِرے حال پر
    مجھے سب ہے یاد ذرا ذرا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    وہ نئے گِلے، شکائتیں، وہ مزے مزے کی حکائتیں
    وہ ہر ایک بات پہ رُوٹھنا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    کبھی بیٹھے سب میں جو رُوبرو، تو اشارتوں ہی سے گفتگو
    وہ بیان شوق کا بَرملا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    کوئی بات ایسی اگر ہوئی کہ تمہارے جی کو بُری لگی
    تو بیاں سے پہلے ہی بھولنا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    کبھی ہم میں تم میں بھی چاہ تھی، کبھی ہم کو تُم سے بھی راہ تھی
    کبھی ہم بھی تم تھے آشنا تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    سُنو ذکر ہے کئی سال کا، کہ کیا اِک آپ نے وعدہ تھا
    سو نباہنے کا تو ذِکر کیا تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    وہ بگڑنا وصل کی رات کا، وہ نہ ماننا کسی بات کا
    وہ نہیں نہیں کہ ہر آن ادا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    جسے آپ گِنتے تھے آشنا، جسے آپ کہتے تھے با وفا
    میں وہی ہوں مومن مُبتلا، تمہیں یاد ہو کہ نہ یاد ہو

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mohd Saheb, I do not read Urdu. :-( If you can post English/Hindi version, or a link to someone singing it, I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear,

    Thank you for your reply. It’s a hard piece of poetry to translate.
    I love the version by Ghulam Ali - Woh Jo Hum Main Tum Main Qarar Tha

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcReiJFND38

    Selam
    Mohamed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear,

    I tried to write rendition or what I felt is the poem about. Your criticism and thought is highly appreciated, feel free to correct or add something to it. The poem I think is very hard to translate. This is the link;
    http://selamhabibi.blogspot.com/2010/04/understanding-which-we-had-between-us.html

    Regards,
    Mohamed

    ReplyDelete