Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rukh (trees)

This poem is written by the Punjabi poet Shiv Kumar Batalwi who died at the age of 36 in a hospital.  It is believed, he wrote this poem looking at the trees outside the window of his hospital room.

Kuj rukh mennu, put lagde ne,
Some of these trees look like (my) sons to me
 Kuj rukh lagde maavaan. 
Some trees look like mothers

Kuj rukh noohaan dheeyaan lagde
Some trees look like (my) daughters-in-law and daughters
 Kuj rukh vaang bharaavaan. 
Some trees look like (my) brothers

Kuj rukh mere bapay vakan,
Some trees look like my father
 Patar taavaan taavaan.
Who possess few/sparse leaves (old age)

Kuj rukh meri daadi varge
Some trees are like my grandma
Choori paavan kaavaan.
Feeding choori to the ravens ("choori" is a sweet treat made from unleavened bread)

Kuj rukh yaaraan varge lagday
Some trees look like my (soul-mate) friends
Chumma te gall laavaan, (I would) kiss and hold them close to my heart

Kuj rukh mera dil karda ai
(Looking at) some of these trees I feel pulled to
Modde chukk khiddaavaan. 
Raise them to my shoulders and play with them (like I would with little children)
 
Ik meri mehbooba vaakan,
One looks like my beloved
Mittha atey dukhaavaan. 
Sweet and painful

Ik rukh mera jee karda ai  (Looking at) one of these trees I feel pulled to
Chumma te mar jaavaan.
Kiss and end my life

Kuj rukh jad vi ral ke jhooman 
Some trees when they get together and sway
Tej vagan jad vaavaan
In the flowing breezes

Saavi boli sab rukhaan di Dil karda likh jaavan 
 I feel impelled before I leave to transcribe this verdant language of all the trees
Mera vi eh dil karda ai Rukh di joone aavaan.
I wish then to be reincarnated as a tree
Je tussaan mera geet hai sunana, Maen rukhaan vich gaavaan.
(Then) if you wish to hear my songs, you will hear me sing in the trees
Rukh taa meri ma varge ne, Jyun rukhaan diyan chhaavaan.
The trees are like my mother, providing shade (loving embrace, solace) 

2 comments:

  1. Jaswin, this page has an image in Gurumukhi. The words are a bit different. I translated the song as it was sung. http://www.desicomments.com/punjabi/kujh-rukh-shiv-kumar-batalvi/

    ReplyDelete